Soups are some of my favourite meals to make mainly because you can pack so much in and they require little attention. This soup makes the perfect weeknight meal for those long days in autumn when the nights get colder and the daylight fades…
My goal was to use the veg up from our veg delivery & what I came up with was a variation on an Italian soup but made with a very French feel….
La soupe de haricots beurre et poivron rouge…Butter Bean & Red Pepper Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35-40 min
- 2 large red peppers, halved, deseeded and cut into 1 cm slices
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped or sliced
- 800g canned butter beans, drained & rinsed
- 600ml veg stock of your choice
- 125g french beans
- 1 tbs mixed herbs
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chilli oil/garlic oil/ sun-dried tomato oil, to drizzle on top
- Get your tools out! Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F. Get those peppers into a roasting tray, drizzle with some olive oil & sprinkle over your mixed herbs, transfer to the oven and let it work its magic for about 30 minutes.
- While all that is going on, heat your remaining oil in a large saucepan, whack the onions in and cook them till you see they’re translucent and have some colour. Add the wine to the pan & let it boil for roughly a minute or so, then throw in the butter beans, stock & black pepper to taste. Bring this all to the boil, then bring it back down to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep your green beans, rub with some olive oil, salt, and pepper, check on your peppers, and then add the green beans. Let this roast for 8-10 minutes, lowering the heat if necessary
- Take the butter bean mixture to a food processor/blender and blend until smooth. You can use some hot stock to thin it out if you need to. Make sure the soup is warm enough, and then ladle into your favourite dish, top with a spoonful of the roasted peppers & beans. Sprinkle the top with your flavoured oil et