I always love cooking for others, there is a certain fulfillment I get from making people smile and learn through food. But I definitely don’t always have the time to lavish 5 star quality time & attention to food. But lack of time doesn’t have to mean lack of flavour! Here is a super simple tapas menu that uses ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen or ones that are easily bought from your closest market. This is one of my favourite midweek meals. A open faced flatbread with all the flavours of a spanish tapas bar alongside the staple patatas bravas and it’s essential sauces. Throw in your favourite cerveza and you’re sorted!
Black Pepper Flatbread topped with garlic & saffron infused hummus, roasted peppers, olives, and sundried tomatoes & Patatas Bravas with red & white sauce
Time: 30 min
Ingredients: Roasted Balsamic Peppers
- 1 red and 1 green bell pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Ingredients: Black pepper Flatbreads
- 1 cup chopped green olives (spanish ones are best)
- 1 cup hummus (homemade or premade both work fine, feel free to use whatever you have/like)
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes (make sure they are rehydrated and oiled up if using dried ones).
- 1 cup roasted peppers (can pre-roast your own at home beforehand or buy them premade in a bottle).
- 2-4 slices of black pepper flatbread (I use Ryvita), but any crisp bread works here
- dash of paprika (sweet smoked or just sweet works well)
- pinch of saffron (optional, only if you wanna take the spanish flavours up a notch)
- dash of sherry vinegar
- salt & pepper
- chopped fresh parsley / dash of dry parsley
- dash of lemon juice
Ingredients: Patatas Bravas & sauces
- 2-3 potatoes (about 500g), peeled and chopped into small-medium sized cubes
- oil (about 300g)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Chives, to serve
- Get all your prep done beforehand. The flatbreads are a simple case of putting everything together. Once your station is set up get to the potatoes. You want them going first as they take the most time.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Peel the potatoes and cut into rough 2cm chunks. Put a roasting tray with 2 tbsp olive oil into the oven and leave to heat for 5 minutes, then take out, toss the potatoes in the hot oil, and bake for about 45 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Take the peppers and slice into strips. Take a pan and line with foil and cover the bottom with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper and top with foil. Uncover and let brown when the potatoes have 15 minutes left.
- Meanwhile, make the sauces. Put 2 tbsp oil into a heavy-bottomed pan on a medium heat, and cook the onion for about seven minutes until golden and soft. Put in the chilli, and cook for another couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes, sugar, salt and smoked paprika and stir well. Bring to the boil, and then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until thick and dark. Take off the heat, add 1 tbsp sherry vinegar, and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- To make the allioli, put the egg in the small bowl of a food processor along with the garlic and 1tbsp sherry vinegar. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and whizz until incorporated, then drizzle in the rest of the olive oil with the motor running, until you have creamy mayonnaise-style sauce. Season to taste. (You can also use a hand blender, but it’s harder to drizzle and beat at the same time).
- Now time to assemble the flatbreads. *(If you are doing the saffron infused hummus then take the saffron, put into a small bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of boiling water. Then incorporate this into the hummus). Spread the hummus onto the flatbreads and sprinkle with the paprika. Mix the rest of the topping ingredients together into a bowl. Top onto the flatbreads.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and sprinkle with a little salt. Spread the tomato sauce on to the plates, put the potatoes on top, then add a dollop of allioli and a sprinkle of chives, and serve immediately.
- Take the peppers and add a splash or two of balsamic and serve immediately.
*patatas recipe inspired by this